We continue our “Summer Series” for our weekly Sunday morning conversations with my good friend, Jon Mertz. Jon believes that Millennials are the next, great generation of leaders, and that we need to share our experiences and encourage a new generation to lead mindfully and spiritedly!
Remember the days? Playing hopscotch down the sidewalk, taking turns without a care in the world. Running around the playground, laughing with friends. Lying in the tall grass, looking at the clouds go by and imagining the possibilities.
In our youth, there is an invincibility in our spirit along with a fire of seemingly endless inspiration.
Everything is new, and anything is possible.
It is a spirit of playfulness coupled with creativity, activity, and ingenuity. While some may call it “child’s play,” others may call it a youthful spirit.
And then something happens. It is time clicking by.
Time creates age, and age creates toil, wear, and responsibility. We get engulfed by the clock of work and the merry-go-around of each day twists our spirit. Disappointment trumps possibility. Drudgery displaces playfulness. Carefulness replaces carefreeness.
Our soul becomes worn, and this is the danger of age. So, how do we keep a youthful spirit through it all?
It may be worthwhile to first highlight what a youthful spirit is not:
- It is not immaturity.
- It is not unaccountability.
- It is not disregard for others.
- It is not laziness.
A youthful spirit is about:
- Embracing playfulness and laughter as a way to lighten up our communities and family relationships.
- Stoking our imagination for creativity and innovation.
- Keeping a fire in our soul to shine our purpose and keep it energized.
- Growing old with vim and vigor in our soul and spirit.
- Aging with a grin, making others wonder what we are up to still….
It is these and more.
We will explore how to keep a youthful spirit and what that means. To prime our thoughts, these random quotes may help spark your mind and spirit:
- Embracing youth: “It takes a long time to become young.” – Pablo Picasso
- Engaging relationships: “And even when I’m old and gray. I’m gonna feel the way I do today. ‘Cause you make me feel so young.” – Frank Sinatra
- Using your talents: “There is a fountain of youth: It is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring in your life and the lives of people you love.” – Sophia Loren
- Igniting the spark: “Youth is, after all, just a moment, but it is the moment, the spark, that you always carry in your heart.” – Raisa M. Gorbachev
- Keeping the spirit: “You’re never too old to become younger.” – Mae West
How do you keep a youthful spirit? Join #SpiritChat and share! Sunday, July 14th at 9amET.
I hope you enjoyed this post written for our weekly #SpiritChat discussion by Jon Mertz. I invite you to join Jon and me for what promises to be a very youthful conversation! Thank you – Kumud.